Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Un-LOCK-ing The Mystery Behind PERFECT Curls!

Get it? UnLOCKing???? I AM KILLING it over here!

Okay, so inspired by yesterday's post about the $2 joy-fest that is Cashmere Curls styling gel, I must encourage FashionBinge readers, like Dear No One's Amanda, who asked how to get good curls to read this "how to get good curly hair" post.

If you're too lazy, I'll summarize the tips to getting curls of perfection:

1.) DO NOT use shampoo. EVER. Seriously, just read the post.
2.) Do NOT wash your hair daily. Every other day -- or when nasty -- is fine.
3.) Cut layers! Which, of course, comes with having a good stylist. But layers, layers, layers. If you have long curly hair without layers'm a big fan of the graduated layers in the back -- think, like the shape of a V instead of straight across, which can look kinda poodly, you know?
4.) Use a CRAPTON of conditioner in the shower.
5.) When you're out of the shower, flip your fucking head over, and lightly absorb some of the excess water with a couple of paper towels or a spare t-shirt if you're super green. (Before you ream me about how bad paper towels are for the environment, I use the damp towels to wipe up the bathroom too, kay? AND STOP JUDGING ME!)
7.) After the shower, while you're still basically upside-down, use ANOTHER crapton of conditioner.
8.) Use an AWESOME gel.
9.) Flip your damn fool head over, and either shake out your head a little, or, if you're using a super strong gel, and shit be stickin', use a wide-toothed comb and lightly separate your curls.
10.) ABSOLUTELY NEVER USE A BRUSH IN YOUR HAIR EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER.

Kay! Stay tuned for more hair product revYOOOOS you can USE!

7 comments:

amanda said...

I love picking other curly-haired girls' brains about their styling tips, so thanks!

I think the big change I need to do is stop using a towel. I keep hearing this from people, so it probably will make a huuuge difference in the frizz department.
And ha to the original post on goo curls! I read through some of the comments and found one I wrote before I finally got with the program and opened a blogger account. Still trying to work up to no shampoo ever; it feels so wrong if I've been sweaty or have product in.

Tamar said...

amanda, put DOWN the towel!!!!! (though, wrapping your hair in a towel won't make it as frizzy as like rubbing your hair with a towel, but you should avoid it altogether as the terry-ness is like a frizz magnet.) also, try devachan's "no poo" product if you can't part with shampoo. but i guaranatee, no shampoo makes a HUGE difference!

Anonymous said...

OK, T, I've tried the no-shampoo thing, and here's my complaint: Conditioner doesn't deal with product buildup. Eventually, I look like I've got dandruff and dude, I DO NOT HAVE DANDRUFF. I have gel/creme/make-your-hair-curly product buildup. I've used everything from $5 gel from the grocery store to $30 Bumble and Bumble. I get flaky crap that only shampoo - usually that Neutrogena deep cleansing crap - will take away.

So? Thoughts?

Tamar said...

Salamanstress! The Devachan technique peeps recommend "scrubbing" your scalp to remove any product, dirt, crunk, etc. Like sorta massage it with your finger trips. Give it a good ole' scrub. Maybe that'll work?

Tabitha said...

I totally agree with no shampoo. My curls are MUCH more defined when I don't shampoo, don't brush and when I lightly soak up the drips of water on my hair whilst my head is upside down. My go to curly hair product is Bumble and Bumble Curl Creme....never leaves a flaky mess and minimal build up.

Anonymous said...

I will totally try it! Also, my husband is going to be BUMMED that you came up with "Salamanstress" before him.

Tamar said...

ha! it just came to me for some reason!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...